Althea Sicarius/Aren/Aerendyl/Vansalder is a character played on World 42 by Ellen. Through hell and back, she has remained strong- and can be defined by three unbreakable characteristics: her compassion, her strength, and her tendency to make awful decisions.
The Moon Clan Woman and the VisitorEdit
Once, there was a visitor who braved his way to the island where the elusive "Moon Clan" lived, and he stayed for quite some time; wishing to advance his magical knowledge and learn. His name was Wyatt Aren, but he didn't call himself that- instead stylising himself with the last name of "Vansalder". He had a past he was running from and secrets to hide, and sharing his name brought the risk of both being brought to light. He didn't wish for that to happen.
Wyatt met a Moon Clan woman, and immediately found himself to be smitten with her. She found him to be fascinating, and unlike most of the others on the island, Wyatt's mind couldn't be breached in the slightest. For better or for worse, she found that to be appealing, and the mutual attraction led to the two of them doing what one can expect. The Moon Clan woman found herself to be pregnant.
Wyatt promptly bailed.
The birth of a bastard child on Lunar Island where so many of the population were female didn't hold stigma, and so when Althea (or Thea, as she was quickly nicknamed,) Vansalder was born, it wasn't an event with much fanfare. Like many of the other children, she learned magic quickly, though she had the odd habit of walking even when she was quite capable of floating. (To be cont'd.)
Fall From GraceEdit
Into the FoldEdit
The Goriest Soap Opera Ever Pt.1Edit
The Goriest Soap Opera Ever Pt.2Edit
The Hands Of TimeEdit
Taking a Break (Sticking her head in the sand)Edit
Re-Emergence, the ArenEdit
The Shade's DaggerEdit
Childhood Tales and the Watch On the RoofEdit
What The Night Belonged ToEdit
What The Crow SawEdit
What The Holy Man SawEdit
The Fellowship of the Phylactery (Also known as: Smashing the $%@!ing Gem)Edit
Because Guthixians Don't Like Liches, and Neither do Temple KnightsEdit
But Templars Don't Mind!Edit
Fifty Million Freeloaders (Well, Three)Edit
And Then I Should Have DiedEdit
Perhaps Realising That She Is Too Old For This ShitEdit
Back Into The Fold (The Little Things)Edit
The Wrong Side Of RetributionEdit
A Brief Interlude During Which Bad People Help Other Bad People Do Bad Things To Worse PeopleEdit
Back In BlackEdit
What Is Inside The BookEdit
No Legacy for ButchersEdit
PersonalityEditThea’s personality is somewhat unpredictable, even to herself, for a woman who has endured as much as her cannot truly be considered ‘stable’. Though her bouts of insanity have not been of the dramatic type, they were no less real, and the damage on her very self is evident. In the face of terrible events, her response may be muted- this not being an attempt to be “badass” so much as she is, truly, jaded. There is no doubt that she is morally loose, and despicable acts are something she has both witnessed and been a part of- numbing herself to the surroundings to the point where she can seem cold. Publicly, she strains to remain diplomatic to a fault. It is equally doubtless that her endurance and personality are nothing to be doubted, and her unique perspective has allowed her to wield words like weapons.
That being said, compassion is her strongest drive, and to a point, her downfall. Thea is an incredibly gifted healer, and despite the fact that each time she uses her healing she creates the risk of harm to herself or weakness, she uses her gift often and to its full extent. Numbing herself only works to a degree, and guilt is something she has learned to live with- she tries to balance it out by as many acts of mercy as she can. To her, she values her own free choice, and that of others, above almost all else- even if it hurts her to act for it. Thea spent far too much of her own life being constrained by the magic of madmen and killers. To put anybody else in the same position is an unspeakable crime to her. Perhaps the best example of this trait would be her insistence in keeping her daughter, whom she cares for above all else, away from herself, and blind to her true heritage. Thea’s sins are her own to bear; and she alone will carry them.
Thea is a very powerful magical user, having dedicated her life to the study of magic since her youth. As such, she has quite a lot of theoretical knowledge of it, and is willing to share. Holding theoretical knowledge in most forms of magic. Practically, assuming she hasn't recently died or anything, she is able to use:
Originally, Thea planned to become the equivalent of a doctor on her home island, and thus was taught in healing magic from a very young age. She hasn't stopped learning since. Constantly practicing and learning, she has achieved a high degree of skill in it- though she won't ever consider herself to be a master, ever. There's always more to learn!
Being in the Sicarius, ZMI, and several large wars, she has had more than enough experience to back up her skill, and while she attempts to physically reduce the damage as much as possible before using magic, she is able to use three different forms of healing magic.
- Using basic elemental runes, she is able to "speed up" the healing process. This takes fairly constant energy from both the healer and the person being healed, and takes a fairly long time.
- Using lunar magic, she is able to heal a more serious wound, and quickly, but at the expense of a very large amount of her energy. As well, the pain of the healing, as she casts the spell, is reflected on her twicefold, as well as a fair bit of weakness for some time after, making it very physically taxing.
- Recently, she has began to learn healing using Blood Magic, either with the assistance of blood runes, with the blood of a person, or any combination of the two. This is fairly risky, as it is inherently dark magic, and extreme care needs to be taken during the process- an interruption can simply make matters worse.This method is painful for those being healed, and it tends to leave a scar. This method, however, is the least physically taxing on her (assuming that she is using the blood of somebody else, or even the person being healed), because it involves energy from somebody else assuming it is somebody else's blood being used as a catalyst. While risky, it has enough benefits for her to use it whenever it is feasible.
Thea is a woman who has spent most of her life studying magic, and so she honestly can't do much involving other forms of combat to any degree of skill. Physically, she keeps herself in good shape, but she's not fantastic. She moves quickly, but that's about all she has going for her. At one point she could use a sword, but times have changed.
riginally, she studied it in order to extend her own lifespan, having feelings for more than one person whose natural lifespan greatly expanded upon her own, but she eventually ceased her studies to persue other interests. Only recently due to Thorvald forcing her soul into a phylactery has she resumed, this time for her own well-being. It's a balance, though, because the corrupting effects of it reduce Thea's ability to use other forms of magic, and she is starting to realise that there may be no way to balance it.
(( needs to be updated ))
- Since the first day of roleplaying the character, Thea has worn an unholy symbol and had bright orange hair. That's about all that's remained the same in regards to her appearance.
- She is very allergic to shellfish.
- The name Althea, in Greek, is derived from the verb meaning "to heal". The person who plays her was not aware of this when she made her.
|The Aren Family|
|Living Members: Karightus Aren, Chris Aren, Dovahn the Grey, Elyspis Aren, Galethorn Aren, Vulcan Ignitius Aren, Anita Vansalder, Tesla Aren, Evelyn Aren, Annabelle Aren, Redclad Aren|