This page serves as a source of information about werewolves as it is applicable to World 42 role-playing characters. Everyone is invited to add to this information.
A Brief HistoryEdit
One story tells us that when Lord Drakan invaded the Hallowland with an army of vampyres, werewolves, and other evil beings, he completely destroyed Kharyrll. When Drakan took over the Hallowland and turned it into Morytania, he gave the area where Kharyrll once stood to the werewolves as a reward for helping him in the war. The werewolves subsequently built a village there and named it Canifis.
Another story tells us that the werewolves conquered Kharyrll even before Drakan came to the Hallowland. The werewolves built their own settlement and named it Cave Canem. When Drakan invaded the Hallowland, Cave Canem was the first fortress that he took over. However, when the werewolves joined Drakan's army and helped him conquer Hallowvale, Cave Canem was returned to the werewolves and renamed Canifis.
Yet another story tells us that Kharyrll was destroyed by Saradominists after Zaros had fallen. It was left abandoned until the Fourth Age, when enormous groups of Misthalanian settlers entered Morytania to build villages there. One group built a village named Canifis at the place where Kharyrll once stood. However, when Lord Drakan saw what they were doing in his land, he cursed the humans from Canifis, transforming them into werewolves.
Drakan still rules the land East of the Salve today, and it is believed he may have found a way to send Werewolves over the river.
This section addresses details about werewolves that are widely accepted throughout the world 42 role-playing community.
- Werewolves in RuneScape can freely shift between human and wolf forms.
- Werewolves are subject to the Salve Barrier.
- Werewolves are in all cases creatures of Zamorak.
- Werewolves, like most canine creatures, have advanced senses of smell and hearing.
- Werewolves experience a sort of "sixth sense" when tracking prey, they can literally see where their quarry has gone, and this trail manifests as a set of glowing tracks giving off a sparkling light, as seen with Jerrod.
- The blood of any given werewolf is black, regardless of their age or allegiance (whether they have pledged themselves to Zamorak or not).
- Werewolves have little to no standard magical ability.
- The typical werewolf is short-tempered and often blood-thirsty.
- When stabbed with a wolfbane dagger, a werewolf cannot shift into his/her wolf form. They also temporarily lose their acute senses. However, the symptoms of weakness seem to pass quickly. The simple proximity if the wolfbane daggers that are blessed by Saradomin seems to make them sick.
- Once wounded, a werewolf's body, while in its wolf form, will regenerate itself slowly over the course of several days depending on the severity of the wound. (Note: This is far quicker than humans or other mortal creature.)
- Werewolves are able to interbreed with other humanoid species such as Humans. (They CANNOT breed with Vyres.)
- Werewolves have a much longer life span than humans, although the ratio is not known.
- When in Human form, Werewolves are able to show greater physical strength than a human.
- Werewolves can cross the Salve if they haven't pledged allegiance to Zamorak yet.
- Werewolves rarely have children. (Depending on the Roleplayer)
- Werewolves pledge allegiance to Zamorak as soon as they take the life of an innocent.
- When in early to mid years if a Werewolf hasn't pledged allegiance to Zamorak they find it hard to control their transformations.
- Werewolves in RuneScape are a race, not an affliction.
- Werewolves have thick, hard to pierce or tear hides in their werewolf form, which weaker metals such as bronze do not seem to effect much. Stronger metals, such as mithril, make slashing and stabbing weapons more effective, this effectiveness is increased with blessed weaponry.
- Crushing weapons, regardless of metal strength, should be more effective, as they do not need to cut or stab into the hide in order to break the bone beneath.
- Animals are said to dislike werewolves, and prey animals seem to be highly unnerved by them.
- The books suggest that Werewolves are purely carnivorous and even Gar'rth, being only half-werewolf, states that eating bread makes him sick.
- Werewolves have an in-between transformation state in which their skin turns grey and they become very resilient. Their jaws become distended but they lack the fur and ears typical to werewolves. This is the only form that younger werewolves can change into, as their true form has not settled in yet.
This section addresses details about werewolves that are still subject to speculation and discussion either because of conflicting information in-game or because use of the detail in role-play creates an unfair scenario (usually involving overpowering or another common role-play problem).
- It could be considered that the shapeshifting nature of werewolves could give them some regenerative properties.
- Werewolf shapeshifting happens almost instantly, as seen in the NPC werewolves in Canifis. (This is often considered overpowered.)
- The age ratio of Human : Werewolf. Some roleplayers use a "Appearance age/.06 = x years" equation, an example being a werewolf appearing 60 is 1000 years of age: 60/.06=1000.
- It is sometimes thought werewolves live around 500 years, as this may have been an answer during a Lore Q&A, but said page has long since been lost.
- Due to many Neo-Lycanthrope roleplayers (new-age werewolf roleplayers, not players new to werewolf roleplay), the fact of werewolves rarely having children is starting to be shown a new light and werewolf offspring are becoming more common.
- West-salve werewolves are more common due to their growing use as roleplay characters and offspring of older Trans-salve werewolves (also used as roleplay characters).
- Werewolves who have yet to pledge to Zamorak can learn control via exorcism, there is no proof behind it like much of the lore here.
- It's possible that only blooded werewolves have red eyes. In the books, Gar'rth's eyes are noted to be fully black whereas Jerrod has black scleras and red eyes.
This section addresses traits that unexperienced role-players often bestow their werewolf characters but that aren't actually seen in werewolves on RuneScape.
- Werewolves do not have superhuman speed or agility as humans and are only as fast as an adult wolf when shifted, they can be stronger than humans, but not as strong as the full werewolf form.
- Many roleplayers think the term "Lycanthrope" is an Invalid use of nomenclature, but as seen with dialogue from the agility werewolf when the adventurer has the ring of charos, it's used by werewolves (or Lycanthropes) themselves.
- Werewolves CANNOT successfully mate with Vampyres, and Humans have a high fail rate.
- Werewolves do not shift forms slowly, nor does it seem to be just a changing of the flesh; magic is somehow involved. When Jerrod transforms, a white glow and a flash is seen, very similar to a bright flash of moonlight.
- This is similar to how vampyres transform from their human guise to their full vyre form, in which they turn in form after being incased in a large swirling red ball of magic for a few seconds, this ball of magic almost resembling blood.